Google
An email from Derek Finch
Post Reply   Forum
Posted by: kayes
11/01/2005, 21:30:26

Even though you do not know me, I owe you both a huge debt of gratitude for providing me, through the Ipoh & Taiping websites, the inspiration to return to Malaysia to visit your towns from 12 - 15 November 2005, before going on to spend 3 days in Penang.

I am a Hong Kong Eurasian (British/Chinese), a colonial history and colonial architecture buff, lover of Malaysian makan (in its infinite variety) and Tiger beer - you can understand how I feel when I visit places that seem so much more "real" than the fake, new and ugly buildings that we have in HK.

My plan is to stay in the Majestic in Ipoh (Q: is the refurbishment finished?) and the Lagenda in Taiping. Trips planned around Ipoh's buildings, to Maxwell Hill (Rover up, walk down), Commonwealth War Cemetery, museums, Night safari, Lake Gardens, Taiping walking tour etc

As I will be arriving over a weekend, I might miss the Tourism offices which may be closed. I was wondering whether you have a scanned copy of any leaflets from both towns showing the architecture and history of the prominent buildings. If so, would it be possible to send a scanned copy? I would be most grateful.

Also, can you confirm if the criminal law courts in Taiping and Penang are still in old colonial buildings. I like seeing how my profession is practised in other countries when I travel. I remember the Supremem Court in Penang near the Museum but I don't know if that building is being "modernised". I hope not.

Terima kasih,

Derek Finch

Post Reply | | View All     | Next | Current page

Replies to this message